- Inform all employees of crucial move dates and information, including:
- Old office shutdown and new office startup dates.
- Revised contact information, including weekend contacts.
- New building rules and regulations.
- Notifying building security at both the old and new locations of the move, make sure that you receive all needed access.
- Archive or dispose of all documents
- Prepare all office equipment for the move, and contract any necessary vendors for specialty items.
- Keep a Certificate of Insurance on-file at both old and new locations.
- Pre-order office supplies for new location; salvage, sell, or scrap office supplies at old location.
- Inventory all equipment. Order any necessities, and dispose of any extra materials.
- Establish mail service and distribution plan, and inform any necessary parties.
- Order any required office signage.
Change of Address
- Notify all customers – internal and external – of the change.
- Notify all employees of the change.
- Notify all business contacts, and any relevant publications, associations, or groups of the change.
- Print and distribute all documents that reflect the new address.
Communication and IT
- Assign new phone numbers to all staff.
- Prep for shutdown and move of on-site servers, including contacting any necessary vendors and planning all required backups.
- Plan for shutdown of all computers and phone systems.
- Plan for reactivation and testing of all computers and phone systems, create contingency plan in the case of problems upon startup.
- Test all data and electrical outlets in new location.
- Create detailed plans for furniture layout in new office.
- Label and tag all items accordingly.
- Preorder any new items.
- Prepare all existing items for the move, including disassembling them as necessary.
- Contact all required vendors, including movers, electricians, and other contractors. Ensure that all involved teams agree on schedule, tasks, and other key requirements.
- Notify new building of schedule.
- Request loading bay, cargo elevators, and any available moving equipment prior to move-in.
- Request out-of-hours access as needed.
- Receive certificate of occupancy.
- Obtain badges, keys, and identification for employees as needed.
- Arrange for all materials to be removed from site.
- Conduct walkthrough with landlord to confirm that your vacation has met all requirements.